Monday 3 February 2014

Ivy's Mess Hall

I've been to Ivy's Mess Hall a few times over the past few months. The first time I stumbled upon it was at the end of September when there was a weirdly warm Friday evening and me and some friends perched on the outside tables to have a few gin and tonics before wandering down to Ridley Road Market Bar. 



The second time was for a few drinks with my sister pre my first Floyds visit on Shacklewell lane. But I like it there. They serve decent cocktails and the inside is comfortable and trendy without being painfully so. This visit was for a quick drink/ bite to eat before we went to see The Wolf of Wall Street at the Rio. If I was sitting through a 3 hour film I was going to need some food and had always been called in by the chalk board outside Ivy's declaring they had one of my favourite things ever - Burrata. 


We sat at our table with the super cute mismatched crockery, ordered an Aperol Spritz and looked through the menu of small plates. They have olives, bruschettas and sliders - oh my! In the end we ordered some bread, olives, burrata, plate of charcuterie and some sliders - (did I mention it was going to be a 3 hour film?). 


Sadly then the most upsetting thing happened - they had run out of burrata. Whilst I nursed my Aperol Spritz with tears in my eyes the daily special of spiced dhal. I got over it slightly when the food started to arrive. Everything is nicely presented and tasty.


The sliders were pulled pork and very cute. Probably they could have done with a bit of a flavour kick in the form of chilli or something but apart from that they hit the spot. The surprise star dish of the night was the daal which we were in too much of a rush for me to take a picture. It was served in a little earthenware pot and was deliciously spiced. 



My only problem with the charcuterie plate was despite being very pretty... there was fruit on it. Now I'm all for creativity but in no situation do I want to see strawberries and blueberries next to my salami! 


Ivy's is a perfect place if you want to have a drink with friends with a few nibbles as oppose to a big old meal. Definitely going to be a regular. 

Ivy's Mess Hall
129 Kingsland High Street
E8 2PB

No comments:

Post a Comment