Wednesday 24 April 2013

The Clapton Hart - Sunday Roast


The Clapton Hart is quickly becoming a firm favourite. This was my third visit and I have a feeling now that everyone is more prepared to crawl out from under their duvets without the need for 4 pairs of thermals and some fetching long johns… it will be a more regular event.


One thing I love about this pub is the building itself. It was redone and reopened a year ago but they have left it in what I can only call extreme shabby chic – and it works. I will do a more detailed review of the place after I enjoy a few more sessions in the sun, but for today I want to talk about their roasts.


Generally speaking, I’m not a roast person. I did not grow up in a family where at 5pm on the dot, my mother carried over a bronzed chicken whilst wearing a frilly pinny. I also don’t see the big deal about roast potatoes… but anyway these are my issues.

On Sundays, The Clapton Hart offers a selection of Roasts: Roast beef, Pork Belly, Roast Chicken Breast, Roast Chicken Leg or a Nut Roast for the veggies. All of the above come served with the same sides, Yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes, boiled new potatoes, celeriac mash, carrots and lashings of gravy. I went for the pork belly (I tend never to order chicken - as a general rule I don't order things I could do at home). 

The Hart have their kitchen organised like a well-oiled machines on Sundays. By the time I ordered at the bar and wandered back to my table about a metre away, someone had already popped to the table with cutlery and a little pot of apple sauce (horseradish for those who ordered beef). About 3 minutes later the plates appeared. I would normally be suspicious of this type of speed but when the plate in front of me looks like this I can let it go.



It was good. It was very good. The only complaint I have is that the skin on the pork wasn't quite crackling so I couldn't really cut it and it had to be left. Apart from this, the meat itself was delicious and the gravy and yorkies a success. After demolishing the whole thing I had to sit there for another hour or so rubbing my belly. Luckily I had chosen stretchy trousers for the occasion – a brilliant move on my part.

I will be back soon on a Sunday ready to take on another roast… stretchy pants and all. 


231 Lower Clapton Rd  
London 
E5 8EG
020 8985 8124




No comments:

Post a Comment