Monday 22 April 2013

The Village Green - Launch Night


When I moved into my new flat in November I was aware that it wasn’t located in the busiest part of the Hackney/ Dalston area. My end of Hackney Downs (the top corner off Rectory Road), seems to have a slight identity crisis – it’s caught in between Dalston and Stoke Newington and yet by being on the right hand side of Rectory Road has an E5 Clapton postcode. Having said all this, the area seems to be going through a bit of a revolution.

Hackney Downs Studios hosted Street Feast on Friday nights until December (they have now sadly moved to Haggerston), and the railway arches are home to a little café called the Russet where I have enjoyed many an eggs benedict on a Saturday/ Sunday morning. I then found out that they were opening a few permanent shops opposite the Russet and have called the whole thing The Village Green. This opening featured in last Tuesday’s Timeout and so last Thursday I travelled the whole 60 seconds from my front door to check out the opening night. 



The little courtyard was full of people. I’m not sure if it was the bunting or the free gin and tonics but everyone definitely seemed to be cheery. Me and my companion grabbed a gin and started to have a wander through the 4 different shops. First there is Atomica Gallery – the walls are plastered with modern prints of all sorts of styles. At the back they had some rum and ginger punch – a treat. I’m not sure if it was the rum talking but I’ve got my eye on some witty prints at the back and left my details with one of the lovely owners so will definitely be popping back this week. 







Next we headed into Smoking Gun Vintage and had a browse through the rails. Now I’m not a vintage shopper. Whereas most people manage to come out laden in trendy outfits, I tend to come out looking like I’ve stolen my great aunts curtains. Smoking Gun though is small, making it less intimidating than some of the more TK Maxx style Vintage shops. I managed to pick up some sunglasses and a stripy mint and black knit. With 20% off on the night the glasses were only £8 and the jumped about £18. Bargain.









We only stopped in briefly on The Hackney Peddler with neither of us being in the market for a bike (though maybe this summer… I do live in Hackney after all). Last a brief tour of Portamento – a shop which sells.. well I’m not quite sure what. There is a mix of clothes, shoes and jewellery, and at the back I’m pretty sure I spied some pasta. I will have to revisit to have another proper look.

The Village Green is a cute and cheerful addition to the area, and I’m glad I’m only a stone’s throw away.  Well done to all who obviously put loads of effort into the launch night!

The night continued onto another launch night – this time the locals launch of The Star by Hackney Downs who have taken over the grotty looking 3 Sisters pub on the opposite side of the park. But that’s for another time. 


The Village Green
Amhurst Terrace
London
E8 2BT

No comments:

Post a Comment