Wednesday 1 May 2013

Speed Dating at The Scolt Head


Speed dating. 2 words that have always filled me with complete fear mixed with just a sprinkling of curiosity. So when I saw on Twitter last week that there was a speed dating event at The Scolt Head I texted my single friend Mo to tell her about it. I was pretty insistent that we weren’t actually going to do it until last Thursday I went out on a hen do and woke up with an email confirming our booking. Never drink and online shop.This was worse than the time I woke up with an Itunes receipt for Carly Rae Jepsen’s ‘Call Me Maybe’.


I digress. Faced with the realisation that I was now attending this event, I asked for some wisdom from friends. I think my favourite was ‘Alice just please try to remember to be nice…’. The fact that this came from someone I had a brief romantic fling with made it particularly encouraging.

Mo and I stopped off at mine to have a few glasses of prosecco/ Dutch courage pre dating event. We had been told we would have 17 different 4 minute dates. 17. I can officially say I could count on 1 hand the number of proper ‘first dates’ I had been on before last night.  

The Scolt Head is actually a really nice pub. I had onlybeen once before for a birthday but the front garden in full bloom is really cute.Inside was a bunch of slightly nervous looking people desperately orderingdrinks from the bar (clearly the Dutch courage approach is a general rule forspeed daters).


After ordering a large glass of white wine, we made our way into the ‘speed dating room’ and were handed a pen and a book to make notes in and then a name badge. Name badges always make me slightly sad but a necessity in this case (and also gave 17 men an excuse to look at 17 girls breasts without having to be discreet about it).


What were the men like? Well a mixed bag but to be honest,not as bad as I was anticipating! The problem with speed dating is obviously the time limit. 4 minutes can be a blessing and a curse. A blessing if you want to move on quickly (I was praying for that bell when one guy congratulated me on being ‘skinny’). On the other hand how well can you judge someone in a 4 minute time frame? Out of the 17 dates I would probably only want to see around 2 of them again – and that was mostly because Mo and I got chatting with them during the break and had a drink with them afterwards and they were good fun.

Would I do it again? Probably not any time soon. But I am pleased I tried it. If nothing else it has ticked a box on my life to do list. I did on the other hand manage to meet someone post speed dating. As Mo said ‘How have you managed to go speed dating and be picked up by a non-speed dater?’.

I probably indulged in slightly too many ‘Dutch courage’large glasses of pinot and today am feeling slightly delicate. Quite frankly I judged myself when I came into work wearing sunglasses and holding this:


Look at for another speed dating night most probably next month:

107A Culford Road
London 
N1 4HR

No comments:

Post a Comment