Monday 28 October 2013

Tramshed

The Tramshed. I am fully aware that I am not the first person to blog about this place nor I imagine will I be the last. It’s amazing how a dead cow with a dead chicken perched on top of it in a vat of blue liquid makes you want to pick up your camera and tell everyone about it despite the fact that everyone already  knows about it and has probably seen it. Still.. here I go.


My visit to Tramshed last week was a spontaneous one. The normal Shoreditch Vietnamese got passed up when trying to decide where to go and then Tramshed was suggested. Did I really fancy chicken and chips? Not really... Did I want to see the Damien Hirst taxidermy/ aquarium piece... absolutely. 


The room is cavernous but then again, it’s not called the chicken coop. It's an enormous echoing space which gives the impression of being in a school canteen. Or what I imagine the Grand Hall in Hogwarts to sounds like minus the floating ghosts.


As we had already had a few glasses of wine and nibbles at the lovely Sager and Wilde on Hackney Road we decided to share a chicken and chips between the 3 of us with a couple of small starters. Starters were Yorkshire Pudding with whipped chicken livers and a golden beet and goats cheese salad. At around the £3.50 mark, the Yorkshire pudding and chicken liver sort of pate was very good value for money. One of my companions said the liver mouse was too salty, the other completely disagreed whereas I thought it was just right. It was like a slightly more offally version of Goldilocks and the 3 bowls of porridge. 



Then the chicken arrived. No one can deny that for some reason an upside down roasted chicken with long claws pointing in the air is an impressive sight. One of the waiters came to help carve the animal before serving up the legs (feet included) to the other two. It was a very good roast chicken. I rarely order chicken in restaurants for the fear of miserable dry meat – but this was perfectly cooked.




I enjoyed Tramshed. Next time though maybe I’ll order a steak too and a chicken to share with a group, just to try both. Plus I think at 25 quid for a whole chicken and chips to share between 3 is pretty bloody good value. Hix is planning a sister to Tramshed on Bishopsgate, I imagine to stop those poor city boys from having to get all the way to Shoreditch to make cock and bull themed jokes. Maybe I will try that one... then again it will be full of city boys... maybe not. 

32 Rivington Street
EC2A 3LX

3 comments:

  1. Hi Alice,
    Can't believe I haven'y been to Tramshed yet, that chicken looks hilarious!
    Do you have an email I can reach you on?
    Ella x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ella. You should definitely check it out! Why don't you send me a private message on twitter? Aliceinhackney! Alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or if its easier its aliceevans88@hotmail.com x

    ReplyDelete