Monday 11 November 2013

Reilly Rocket


On Saturday I was running around in the pouring rain trying to gather bits and pieces to take with me to Kent for a country weekend. Sadly one of these bits and pieces was my ridiculously hungover sister. Once I had popped to the lovely fishmongers The Fishery in Stoke Newington, gone to Ridley Road Market for lemons and limes then Sainsburys for the remaining bits... it was time to feed Amelia if I had any hope of getting her into a car. 

I had been told by friends the brunch at Reilly Rocket on Kingsland Road was a treat so off we went laden with our bags to have a quick bite to eat. Reilly Rocket is on the corner of Kingsland Road and Tottenham Road just by Dalston Junction. The entrance is on Tottenham Road so if you haven't paid attention, you might have never noticed the place.


The cafe itself was busy full of Saturday brunchers and has a nice light and homey feel to it - a welcome sanctuary from the miserable weather outside. It also made for excellent people watching which was a good thing as the hungover mess that was my brunch partner was hardly the best company.


The menu was in 2 parts - firstly the breakfast items, then the 'After 12.00' bits which were more sarnies and the such. As we were there at 12.30 I was momentarily panicked that I couldn't satisfy my craving for eggs but was soon reassured that they serve the breakfast items all day. Phew.
Sadly that creature who's head is collapsed on the table is my sister.
Despite a slight wait for the drinks, the food arrived pretty quickly. In the family hangover cure style, Amelia went for a spicy Moroccan Shatshouka eggs. Our family hangover cure is chilli garlic pasta - pasta with just chilli, garlic and a load of oil. The theory is that anything spicy will liven you up! Her 2 poached eggs were in a spicy tomato soup with whipped feta yogurt. The tomato sauce/ soup was lovely and spiced - a good way to liven up your morning. the only criticism was perhaps it needed either more or chunkier bread to deal with the amount of sauce. Apart from that delicious!


For once I wasn't craving Eggs Benedict - which was a good thing as it isn't on the menu here. I wanted avocado and luckily for me Reilly Rocket delivered. The dish was 'smashed avocado, feta, lemon and dill with poached eggs on toasted sourdough and rocket'. Now I can't say I tasted feta, and in fact until re reading the menu for the description, I hadn't realised it was meant to be in there - but in my opinion this was no great loss. The smashed avocado was fresh and chunky and the sourdough bread were gloriously covered in butter. Next time I come, I'm sticking to this.


We left Reilly Rocket happily fed, and by the time we left even the rain had stopped. I mentioned earlier that Reilly Rocket could be missed if you don't look out for it - it can be missed... but certainly shouldn't be!

Reilly Rocket
507 Kingsland Road
Dalston
E8 4AU

No comments:

Post a Comment