Friday 29 November 2013

Monkey Shoulder Popcorn Flip

Last week I was invited to go along to Monkey Shoulder’s For One Night Only event. Having had a blast at the last one, I happily grabbed a whisky drinking friend and arrived at the Shoreditch Studios ready for what was to be thrown at us. In this case this was literally popcorn. The event was called Popcorn Flip and we had been promised popcorn. Lots of popcorn... a few tonnes of popcorn in fact.


We arrived to be handed an overall to put over our clothes – at this point I was slightly confused and regretting having put any thought into my outfit that morning but we pulled on the thin overalls and made our way into the room. It was like being faced with Charlie and the Popcorn Factory. On one side was a bouncy castle with a popcorn cannon pointed straight at it. On the other side was a giant popcorn holder with some beanbags to sit on. The next room gave us a popcorn pit to sit in. Popcorn popcorn popcorn. It was time to head to the bar to help me mentally process the whole room.

As I have said before when writing up the last Monkey Shoulder event, I’m not a whisky lover. Monkey Shoulder Whisky cocktails on the other hand... quite a different story. I sampled 2 – the Rusty Nail and the Boulevardier No3. The latter is a twist on the oh so trendy Negroni but I actually surprisingly preferred the Rusty Nail which was just a bit sweeter/easier to drink.



Our first cocktail consumed, we decided it was time to brave the popcorn filled bouncy castle. Shoes off and on we went. Having not been on one for about 15 years, this was bloody hilarious. Grown adults falling over in piles of popcorn had an undeniable element of comedy about it and I couldn’t stop laughing (apart from one hairy moment where I thought I was being buried alive by popcorn – luckily I lived to tell the tale/ write this post). 


After jumping in the popcorn it was time to sample the amazing varieties of gourmet popcorn they had to offer which included chilli caramel, blue cheese, paprika and cheddar... and about 10 others. They were all completely yummy – my favourite being the chilli caramel.. very addictive stuff. 



We ended the night with a sit down in the popcorn pit. When has anyone ever sat in a giant vat of popcorn?? Surprisingly comfortable in case you're wondering! 

 

Monkey Shoulder put on yet another brilliant event full of surprises. I had to explain to my new flatmate who I invited along that this was not the type of thing I do every Thursday night. Her text the following day pretty much summed it up ‘I never want to go to another bar unless there’s a bouncy castle’.


They’ve said it’s their last For One Night Only event. I’m hoping this isn’t actually the case. In the meantime whilst I wait to hear about the next fun whisky fueled night, I’m still finding popcorn in my handbag and room.

No comments:

Post a Comment