Monday 17 June 2013

Que Viet



Last week it was time for another Vietnamese. As I have mentioned my old favourite Mien Tay stopped being BYOB and raised their prices during the Olympics. Error. So it was time to move onto pastures new. My dinner and myself date decided to go for Que Viet, after doing some constructive day time googling. Now although not BYOB, we did get a very nice bottle of Prosecco for £20. Not bad really!


The menu is pretty extensive as seems to be standard for Vietnamese places. I went for the prawn summer rolls to start. I always feel pretty virtuous when I order these – must be the herbs. For £3.50 though, a pretty cheap and tasty way to start the meal. 


Alex went for the salt and pepper squid. Now she is a squid pro. This being her favourite – Que Viet had a lot to live up to. Luckily for them it was great. A huge portion of well seasoned and not even the slightest bit chewy squid. The only thing I will say is that it could have done with some kind of dipping sauce with it. 


Onto the mains – I tried to move away from my usual spicy pho… and went for one of their ‘speciality dishes’…which was basically a pho which a range of slightly unidentifiable meats including one which looked and tasted suspiciously like german sausage. Dubious meat aside the broth itself was well seasoned and not at all greasy. 


The other main was their Red Duck curry – now maybe its because you expect a Thai Red curry which is all coconut and spices but this one seemed slightly bland. On the other hand you can’t fault their portion size and they were kind enough to pack most of it up for her to take into work for lunch the next day as we had filled ourselves up on starters.

All in all Que Viet is decent. The starters are great and the mains average but not unpleasant. All in all the bill was about 25 each and given the fact that this including the bottle of prosecco, I would say pretty good value.

The search for my new favourite Kingsland Road Vietnamese continues… 


102 Kingsland Road
London
E2 8DP
0207 033 0588


No comments:

Post a Comment